Monday, March 7, 2016

Why I Don't Say The R-Word


"Mentally retarded" was once a diagnosis used to describe those with intellectual disabilities. In the last few years, that term has been taken out of the medical dictionary and replaced with intellectual disabilities. Unfortunately the term "retarded" wasn't given up easily by those in today's society. It is now used to describe somebody is doing something dumb, stupid, wacky, goofy, crazy, etc. But what does it really mean when you're using that word?

It means taking away the specialness of someone with a disability. It means slapping a label on someone because of their IQ. It means comparing someone doing something stupid to those who are born with mental differences. Why don't I say the r-word? One word - inclusion. Another word? Love. How about one more? Equality. I don't use this word because it is just plain mean. There is no reason to insert this word into our vocabulary when we could literally just say why are you acting so dumb instead of why are you acting so "retarded?"

My sister, as many know, has Down Syndrome. I can assure you she is not dumb or wacky or crazy or retarded. She is Jessica and she wants to be treated just like everyone else. She didn't ask to be born with a disability, my parents didn't intentionally give her one. Growing up I didn't even look at her any differently, she was just my sister. I don't say the r-word because of her and her friends. Thanks to them, I am who I am.

I feel bad for those who can't accept others and the differences that come with each individual. Differences should be celebrated, not looked down upon or given a word that makes somebody feel less as a person. When you use the r-word that is exactly what you are doing. You're putting those who have disabilities into a category that separates them from the rest of the population. When you use this word, you could be saying it right next to someone who has a disability and you don't even know it. There are many different disabilities out there and some are not easily seen. Instead of watching who you say the r-word around, just don't say it.

I understand growing up in school and hearing your peers use this word. I heard it and said it myself once before even realizing what it meant. This is why there's this movement, to make people aware of the hurt that comes with this word. Spread the word to end the word is here to remind people not to use this nasty word at all, ever.

I don't say the r-word and you shouldn't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment