Monday, March 14, 2016

Losing a Dog


Losing a dog brings about the same pain as losing a human. Maybe not exactly the same, but I'd say pretty darn close. When I was little, all I wanted was a dog. Now I'm an adult and all I want is a puppy. It never ends. When you're little you imagine owning this puppy and loving on it constantly, you never think about ten years down the road when the puppy is now a dog, an old dog, and the future is limited with them. Why would you want to think about that?

A pet, in my case dogs, becomes like a sibling to you or for my parents, a child. You feed them, take them for walks, talk to them. They are literally your family and you love them just like you love your brother or sister. I think a big reason that we love our animals like they're human is because they love you even when no one else does. They listen to you when nobody else listens. They give you kisses even when you're sick. They are there for every part of your life, the highs and the lows. When I feel the most unloveable and think the world is out to get me, my dogs are always there for me. When you walk through the door, they race to you as if you are the greatest thing to ever exist and to them, you are. 

It's weird to think that a dog can be "put down." Like they don't have a say in any of this, their owners just decide they're sick and old and it's their time. Most times, this is one of the hardest decisions you'll ever have to make in your life. You have all these questions, is this right? Is our dog really in need of this? Are we doing what's best for him? What if he gets better in the future? Let me tell you, sometimes it just has to be done no matter how hard it is and I promise, it is always hard.

It sucks missing your dog. Missing the walks you would take, the kisses you would get, the fun you would have. If you have the right dog, losing them is like losing a sibling. If you have the right dog, losing them is heartbreaking. If you have the right dog, losing them is like losing your best buddy. They are there for you when nobody else is. Dogs are actually a man's (or woman's) best friend.

A pet just doesn't live as long as a you will, unless you get a turtle, those suckers live forever. If you're lucky enough to find a dog that matches who you are and you have the time and energy to give to your pet, make those years count. With each of my pets, I have always made the years count. Now that I just lost one and have two left with me, I definitely am trying my hardest to give them the attention they deserve. I guess one thing makes it easier when losing a pet, you know that they will always want you to be happy even when they're gone. That is their job. Our dogs want us to be happy which is why they are so affectionate and goofy and cuddly. They love you more than you love them (doesn't seem possible, but it is) and they just want their owners to be happy no matter what.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."



No comments:

Post a Comment